“It’s the Sunday before Christmas, so you already know we had to take brunch up just a tiny notch”
It’s the Sunday before Christmas, so you already know we had to take brunch up just a tiny notch with these fluffy lemon yogurt pancakes with whipped mascarpone cream & fresh figs.
As we say over here, it’s not a weekend without pancakes and these were the perfect highlight to my weekend. I know these look like I did a lot, but minus the topping and the lemon and spices (which you can omit or sub for your own) — these pancakes have 5 INGREDIENTS : eggs, yogurt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Everything else is up to you.
I beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then folded them into the batter for extra fluffiness. I also topped these with fresh figs (because that’s what I had in my fridge), but I think a berry compote will work just as well especially with the whipped mascarpone topping.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus two teaspoons
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter, for cooking
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh figs, for serving
- Cinnamon and/or powdered sugar, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, yogurt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder and then slowly incorporate into the wet ingredients. Mix until fully combined.
- In a clean mixing bowl, use a high speed mixer to beat egg whites to stiff peaks – 4 to 5 minutes total. Fold the egg whites into the batter using a spatula (not an electric mixer or whisk).
- Heat about 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook pancakes in butter 1-2 minutes each side — if the pancakes are brown too fast, lower the heat.
- To make the topping, whip mascarpone cheese, vanilla, and two teaspoons sugar in a bowl until the cheese is lighter and whipped — 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Top pancakes and serve with fresh figs and a sprinkle of cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Feel free to sub out the lemon and cardamom for a different flavor profile (e.g., cinnamon/cardamom or orange zest).
- The mascarpone cheese can easily be subbed out for heavy whipping cream to yield a regular whipped cream.